Friday, September 10, 2010

MOTHER LOVED FERNS!

Mother Loved Ferns

Mother loved ferns.
And I love ferns now.


Troy & Tobi made a stepping stone
for my garden to remember her.



I’ve sprinkled in some fern photos
from my garden
as I tell you about Mother.


She called herself a fern collector.
Though she had only a
small patch of garden outside
her back door in Between, GA.
on Hwy. 78.


She started going to Fern Shows.
Found some bed sheets with
a fern print and had a lady
make her some curtains
out of them,
and a sleeveless dress, too
with two big pockets, upon which
she embroidered her monogram
M.A.D.
Margaret Ashurst DeLoach.


She was one of the first in
Georgia to apply for a 
Vanity License Plate
that read - F E R N -

She put it on her little used
green Volkswagon that came with
bullet-hole decals on a side window,
as if Bonnie & Clyde
might’ve owned it once.


She was one of a kind!


And maybe that’s what they’ll
say about me,
 a Chip
off a beautiful ol’ block.


Life is really beautiful when you
take time to
reflect.

stay tuned . . .

~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment