Sunday, October 31, 2010

EARLY HALLOWEEN MORNING

Here are two poems that go together,
for Halloween.
~


Mother, 20, getting off a boat in Savannah,
after a boat trip to New York. c.1929

The Perfect Intro


“A bandleader asked me to sing once,”
Mother would say
when she’d be listening
to a tune on the radio.

Oh, Mother,
I wish I could have seen you
stepping up on the bandstand
your heart beating wildly
the clarinets playing
the perfect intro.

The handsome bandleader
with a dashing moustache
is tipping his head
catching your eye
as you smile and lean into a
30’s microphone
with it’s silver art deco grillwork
and sing:

“Nothin’ could be finah’
Than to be in Carolina,
In the maw-nin’”

You would notice
the man with the cigarette
lean forward on his elbow.
A brunette raising her
pencilled eyebrow in approval.

It is the fifteen minutes of fame
I wish for you
because I knew you’d been
too shy to say
“Yes.”
 ~ ~ ~
An interlude of recent photos


The colorful heirloom tomatoes


dew on ornamental grass


lavender blooms of rosemary
and now . . .

Early Halloween Morning


Maybe Mother’s soul is rising
out of a dreamy float,
or a floaty dream.
Someone is nudging her saying,
“Wake-up, it’s All Hallow’s Day,
your soul can return to earth.”
“Oh,” says Mother, “I was just
dreaming of my daughter, Charlotte.
She’s writing a book about me. 
Maybe I can float down close enough
to see what she’s written”

“C’mon, then,” says Gypsy Edgeworth,
an imp of a flapper angel
who smokes and drinks
Koolaid with gin on the sly,
behind some thunderclouds
where she also hides her Luckies.

“Look!” says Gypsy, “there’s
the book . . . can you read what it says?
  . . . Here, I’ll hold the firefly lantern closer.”
“Oh,” says Mother smiling,
“She’s put me on a bandstand
next to a handsome man with a mustache!
I’m leaning into a microphone
and singing, ‘Carolina In the Morning.’”
“Son of a gun!,” says Gypsy.
“Thank you, Shug,”
she whispers in my ear, 
“for making a dream come true.”
~ ~ ~

 stay tuned . . .
~ ~ ~

1 comment:


  1. the last part of the last poem is my fave.

    ReplyDelete