Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Plan B Thanksgiving Meal

Dear Diary,


I always like to start with a photo,
and I picked these camellia sasanquas
later in the day, today.
This photo turned out best.

I stayed in bed until 9,
turned on the Macy’s Parade
Made coffee,


and got back in bed

Things on my reasons-to-get-up list:

Buy a paper and check out
some Thursday sales.

Blow leaves off the deck.

Run the mower over the yard
to cut up the leaves, then empty
each bag for mulch.
(makes me tired just writing that!)

Work on re-recording the song
Sliced Blue Tomatoes with a faster
tempo and change the lyrics
to just Blue Tomatoes-
then record that
then set up a track in Garage Band
then compress to i-Tunes
then burn a CD
so I can sing with it for 
the Showcase Night of
From Athens to Broadway class.
(That really makes my HEAD tired
just thinking about all the technical stuff!)

At noon I got up and cooked oatmeal.
While chopping the apples that go in it,
I began focusing on the stuff in the fridge,
because I have WAY more than usual,
since I’ve been shopping at Trader Joe’s.

Because, yesterday I bought a new
black stove & fridge!
Really!
The old refrigerator doors
have no handles
mushy gaskets,
and leaks.

(Please don’t tell me if
Home Depot has a 40% off
sale on Black Friday!
I’ve already done it.)

So, I started thinking of all the new
things I could to cook today.
and here it is


cooking away on all four burners
as a way to say GOOD-BYE to my old stove.

And here’s a healthy creative 
Plan B Thanksgiving meal


Trader Joe’s frozen French green beans
(Haricote vertes)
with spring onions & edamame

Pickled beets
(Splenda & vinegar
added to canned ones)

Butternut squash, which comes
peeled & cubed at Trader Joe’s
I sprinkled in cinnamon sugar,
curry powder & some water.
Never cooked butternut squash before
and won’t again.!!

Baby bella mushrooms w/sweet red peppers
and leeks mixed (leftovers).
I added those fake lobster bites.

I don’t really recommend Frozen leeks.
It’s convenient not to have to wash off
the mud, and peel and chop yourself,
but too much of the outside
skins are too tough to chew.

After I poured out the beets
I cooked up some rice pasta sticks.

All during the cooking,
my mind is zooming around
like a top on a merry-go-round.
I haven’t even thought about being
in a mindful place, which is what I’m
trying to practice. 

Also, in the meantime, I’m watching
You Can’t Take It With You on TCM.
I love that play! Everyone is doing their own thing.

After eating I googled to see
if it was ever a musical
and saw a Lux Radio Theater script.

So then, I revised my idea about
an interest group for Seniors.
I think I’ll call this one, Radio Days,
and we’ll read old scripts.
and talk about the good ol’Radio Days.

~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment