Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I AM THE MUSIC



How much do I love to make music?
Back in the 80's I sold
 my wedding silver “Candlelight”
and bought a used Rhodes keyboard. 
I recently sold my Mother’s ring set

to buy my new Yamaha Keyboard.

Both times it was worth it.
I have a little love affair
with every song I’ve ever composed.


It’s born with those first few notes,
that linger and breathe
from a perfect space
between the intervals, 
with the perfect
amount of time
to take my breath away.
Sometimes with a rush of expectancy
or a gasp of delight
or a collapse into an undefinable sadness.
The musical phrase
that soon becomes the song,
expresses an emotion I’m feeling,

or have felt

but had repressed until I
heard that particular new combination.

I stay in love with chords, too!

D-flat major 7th, in particular.
I love to improvise in that key
my fingers gliding over all those black notes.
(good jazz title - all those black notes
stay tuned . . .)
I Am The Music
is a song I composed
from hearing a poem
The Musical Soul
written by a boy, Kris Kirk,
who loved music, and knew
he was dying.
I chose a Pop arrangement style
because he especially loved Metallica

Now, I've made a music video using
 photos of some of my old lead sheets,


guitar, flutes and other
music memorabilia.

I’ve added on-screen lyrics
throughout the song.
They express even more
my relationship with music.
“So grab a note, come fly with me,
and we will soar, like birds so free.”
Thanks for listening . . .

Scroll down for more blog Posts
“My Blue Tomato World”
and
“Was Sisyphus Happy?”
===

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that this goes with my new blog post on creativity inspiring more creative expression: Kris's poem inspiring your song. I love it! For me there is nothing like writing a poem when time disappears and all is flowing...

    ReplyDelete