Friday, May 21, 2010

(It's A) Georgia State of Mind


IT'S A GEORGIA STATE OF MIND!

(from the lyrics to a song I wrote)

“. . . sippin’ honeysuckle wine,
right off a tangled vine,
It’s a Georgia State of Mind.”


Here’s how I came to write a song called
It’s A Georgia State of Mind.
I’d written a musical, Silent Dreams,
brainstormed how to sell it.
“What about a Radio Musical?"
 I said.
"Maybe on Prairie Home Companion?"

Then my brain took a sharp turn
 and asked,
“If we had a Georgia Home Companion
radio show,
 what would the theme song be?”
And I sat right down and composed it!



I tried to put in every famous place
 I could work in,
from Tallulah Falls to the Okeefeenokee Swamp.
Peachtree Street,
 Stone Mountain,
 Tybee Beach.


"peaches and pines and kudzu vines,"


"cypress knees, and blackeyed peas,
and even Sea Island, for the rich!"
~
I finally got to hear it sung!
The Lyric League sang it as their Finale
in a Summer Concert, Aug. 2007.
Right there in Seney Stovall Auditorium!

I got to join ASCAP after that!

Thanks Dell!
~
P.S. I’d still like to hear what a radio program
Georgia Home Companion would sound like! 

Here's "It's a Georgia State of Mind" with me singing on four tracks.

That's my mother wearing 
the leather flying helmet 
in the 1933 photo.



Hope you enjoy the nostalgic photos
of growing up in Georgia.



stay tuned . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment