Monday, May 24, 2010

Poem - After an April Rain



I can get lost in the beauty
of the garden after an April rain,





and forget that the bulldozers
will soon be here.
If the driver could see these flowers up close




he might step down and walk away.


I can get lost in the beauty
of this garden after an April shower,



and forget about  . . . that soldier
with his eye on a computer screen
who will soon discharge
a lethal weapon 
to a target
 6000 miles away.


If the soldier 

could see into the eyes
of his victim
he, too, might step down.
and walk away.

I am still so proud
of that Chinese student
who stepped in front
of the tank in Tiananmen Square.

There are so many better
things to do than make war,



like eating wild strawberries


or taking a nap.


~ ~ ~
I started this poem because I’d taken
these beautiful garden photos.
After completing most of the poem
I remembered a photo I’d taken
of the napping Buddha, so I added that thought.
But I needed another illustration.
Soon after that I was walking around the yard
and saw those wild strawberries.
~ ~ ~
That’s sort of the way I write music and lyrics
One art form enhances and prompts the other.


and now I've made a video
http://www.youtube.com/janamedrova#p/u/0/uGjPnsPq314

~ ~ ~

stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for posting your words and images!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete