Thursday, July 22, 2010

IF I WERE A BIRD . . .

If I were a bird
 I’d be a mockingbird.

They perch atop the tallest tree
and sing their little heart out.

Not their own song,
but every other birds’ song.


This year, some mockingbirds built a nest
right above my chair on the deck. 
I felt so honored that they’d chosen


(photo from last Fall)

the overhead Kousa dogwood limb,
like they trust me. 

I could see the Mother bird feeding
her little birds, but they never cheeped,
so no predators would attack.
Soon they all left.

Still, it seemed like a good omen to me.

And that’s when my New Song started . . .

I had an incident of turmoil
and I had to get it out of my system
 It made me remember 

In my first creative writing class at 37,
I tried to write like Flannery O’Connor,
I was haunted by her style
by her short stories.


A Good Man Is Hard To Find
in particular, a line in which The Misfit said,
“I wisht I could’ve been there.”

This is the first verse.


I Wish I Could’ve Been There

Joseph built a table
Mary baked some bread,
I wish I could’ve been there
To hear what Jesus said.


I heard Leonard Cohen on PBS, recently
and I’d never heard him before,
And there it was . . .a style,
a way to put it all together.

So, I started composing the music
on the piano keyboard,


finding the right rhythm, the right tempo,
putting all those elements together.

It’s hard work, 
like those mockingbirds,
flying back and forth, back and forth
with stick after stick after stick.

I am building my song
with my note
 after note
  after note.

I am the mockingbird,
putting in an Allelulia or two,
like Leonard Cohen.
----

Allelulia . . . Allelulia.


I love it so much I’ve practiced up
so I can play the chords
on the Baby Martin guitar
I bought myself for Christmas.

Allelulia . . . Allelulia.

stay tuned . . .

----

No comments:

Post a Comment